Vehicle Donations


Do you have a car you no longer need taking up space in your driveway? Donate it to Jewish Federation & Family Services! All types of vehicles are accepted including, trucks, boats, motorcycles and more.



Why Donate?


•  Avoid the hassles of selling a car 
•  No need to pay hefty repair bills
•  Your vehicle will be towed for free
•  Free up space in your garage
• 100% tax deductible 

Donating a Vehicle is Easy!


We work with a nonprofit organization, CARS, Inc. to manage our vehicle donation program.​ Get started by completing the online donation form below or on the CARS, Inc. website. Or call 866-985-GIVE (4483)​. JFFS will receive the funds when the car is sold and the details of your gift will be reported directly to us. 

Vehicle Donation



What can I donate?

Most cars, trucks, trailers, boats, RV's, motorcycles, off road vehicles, heavy equipment and most other motorized vehicles are accepted. If you have any questions about what you can donate, please call CARS, Inc. at 855- 620-4483.


Is my donation tax deductible?

Yes! Individual tax situations vary so please check with a tax professional to determine how you may benefit.


How much will my tax write-off be?

The amount that is tax deductible is the sale price of the vehicle. For more information on tax write-offs, review IRS Publication 526 which sets forth the manner in which the IRS requires you to determine the value of your donated property.


What do I need to donate my vehicle?

You will need the title to the vehicle, but if you do not have it, call CARS, Inc directly. It is possible that other arrangements may be made.


My car hasn't run in years. Can I still donate it?

Yes. CARS, Inc. are able to accept most vehicles running or not. Exceptions include older vehicles whose value would not offset the cost of towing. Most vehicles need to be intact and in towable condition. To find out if CARS, Inc. can accept your vehicle, please complete their online donation form or call them on 855- 620-4483.


Can CARS, Inc. pick up vehicles in all 50 states?

They are able to pick up most vehicles in the continental United States.


How is the value of my car determined?

Before filing your taxes, review IRS Publication 526 which sets forth the manner in which the IRS requires you to determine the value of your donated property.


How will the car be picked up?

CARS, Inc. will arrange to have your vehicle towed away at a scheduled time convenient for you. The vehicle will be picked up by a licensed tow company at no cost to you and will be taken to our sale location.


How long will it take to pick up my car?

CARS, Inc. will contact you to schedule an appointment within two to three business days at the most. If you need your car picked up sooner, please call 855- 620-4483. 


How does the new law effect my tax deduction?

Donors will no longer be responsible for determining the deductible value of their donation. Instead, they will receive IRS Form 1098-C, Contributions of Motor Vehicles, Boats, and Airplanes if the proceeds from the sale exceed $500, stating the amount of the gross proceeds from the sale of the donated vehicle. The amount listed on IRS Form 1098-C will be the gross proceeds of the deductible donation.


Will I get a tax receipt for my donation?

Yes, the  driver will issue a receipt at the time of pick-up. This is not your final tax receipt unless the sale of your vehicle does not exceed $500. This initial acknowledgement will indicate your name as well as the year, make, model and condition of the car you are donating. It will be your only receipt if your vehicle sells for less than $500. An IRS Form 1098-C, Contributions of Motor Vehicles, Boats, and Airplanes will be mailed to you within 30 days of the sale stating the amount of gross proceeds received from your car, provided your vehicle sold for more than $500. This will be your tax receipt for your charitable contribution.


How is the value determined on the vehicle donated?

The value is determined by the gross proceeds raised from the sale of the donated vehicle. You no longer have the burden of determining the value yourself.


What can I claim as a deduction?

According to the tax law effective January 1, 2005, if the claimed value of the donated vehicle exceeds $500, the taxpayer is limited to the gross proceeds of the sale.


What if my car is valued over $5000?

Effective January 1, 2005, you will no longer be required to have vehicles appraised. The value you may claim will be the amount of gross proceeds received from your vehicle.


Does my car have to be running to donate it?

In some cases we can take your car, running or not. However, it must have an engine and be towable. Contact a representative at 855- 620-4483 to find out if your vehicle qualifies for pick-up.


Do I need a smog certificate in order to donate my car?

For states that require smog certificates or safety inspections, you may donate your vehicle without these documents.


What type of paperwork will I need to donate my car?

You will need a clear title. Any lien holder listed on the title must be cleared and or released by the bank. This law varies by state. Please refer to the DMV in your state for clear instructions. 


Do I need to notify the DMV when I donate my vehicle?

Each state has different criteria on how notification is made. Some states require the license plates to be returned to the DMV and other states may require a Release of Liability to be submitted to the DMV. Please contact your State DMV for directions on how to notify the state that you are no longer the owner of the vehicle.